Shell questions the future of its Geelong refinery

Wednesday, 19 September, 2012

Shell global downstream director Mark Williams said the operation of the refinery at Geelong was "questionable" given the challenges faced, including more competition from new megarefineries in Asia.

"It's borderline," Williams told the Australian Financial Review. "It depends a lot on how it performs over the next few years whether or not it will ultimately be a survivor.”

"Shell employees are working to make the refinery more competitive with a continued focus on safety while enhancing profitable niche products including Avgas, bitumen and solvents," company spokesman Paul Zennaro said.

Shell had recently invested $47.5 million in a new water processing plant and $20 million in new bitumen facilities at the Geelong plant, one of the largest hydrocarbon refineries in Australia, employing more than 400 people on site.

In June, Shell decided to close its refinery in Clyde, Sydney, to convert it into a fuel terminal, and Caltex Australia announced in July that it would also convert its Sydney refinery into an import terminal, closing the Kurnell refinery in 2014 at the expense of 330 jobs.

The decision follows a review of the company's operations announced in August last year.

The Victorian Government had committed $4 million to a Geelong-focused assistance fund in June, a spokeswoman said.

"The Australian refining sector, like others, is facing major challenges," she said.

"Remaining competitive is a key part of dealing with those challenges. That's why we have been calling on the Gillard government to address issues that impact Australia's competitiveness."

Source: AAP

Related News

Australian Vanadium partners with Sumitomo on Kalgoorlie battery bid

Australian Vanadium has announced that its subsidiary, VSUN Energy, has entered into a pre-bid...

Investment in large‍-‍scale renewables surging ahead: report

The latest quarterly report from the Clean Energy Council finds that more renewables powered up...

NSW renewables workforce receives $15m government investment

The NSW and federal governments are investing $15 million over four years into skilled...


  • All content Copyright © 2026 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd